Bad day? Here are 5 things you can do RIGHT NOW to feel better:
- EAT, SLEEP, HYDRATE! Okay, that’s three things. I cheated. But, trust me, if you’re hungry, tired, or dehydrated- you can feel better instantly by taking care of it NOW!
- MUSIC! Listen to something that soothes you. It could be Enya or your fave death metal. It doesn’t matter what you choose, so long as it speaks to your inner calm.
- BREATH! Try the 4-7-8 breathing exercise, or any deep breathing strategy to relax your body and engage the parasympathetic nervous system. It slows the heart rate and calms the body.
- CREATE! Art can take our brains to another place. It can help us focus when we listen, and help us express feelings in a safe way. It can also help us relax. Try painting, colouring, or using whatever you have on hand to get creative. anything crafty will do. Sew, knit, sculpt, glue something! It doesn’t have to be pretty to make you feel better.
- CHANGE YOUR ENVIRONMENT! If you’re at work, try taking a quick break. If you’re at home, change rooms. Wherever you are, if you are upset, in pain, or anxious… it can help your mind and body switch gears if you change locations. Work within your limits. If a walk is too challenging, sit on the porch. If you can’t take a break at work, try a quick stretch. Adjust the temperature, change the channel, cuddle something soft. Think of the following words when you’re making a change: stimulate, distract, control.